Thursday 15 April 2010

Maxi dresses



A tricky subject if ever there was one. The first, and perhaps most important point, never, ever wear heels with a maxi dress. It just looks plain wrong. Even a wedding dress (essential a big silky white maxi dress) in my humble opinion looks weird with heels.

I just can't figure out who looks good in a maxi dress, my gut instinct informs me that it should be a tall woman, but then those pictures of Nicole Richie in her boho chic maxis and head scarfs with jeweled sandals would make me think otherwise. Nic, i take my hat off to you- i think you are one of few women who wear the maxi well. The rest of us i think automatically run the risk of looking like an 80s transvestite.

Abide by these rules and you should be OK. Pay particular attention to rule 5.

Rule one: The maxi should only be worn in the day. Unless you are going to the Oscars, and lets face it, you're not.

Rule two: I must emphasise the point- never with the heels ladies. Never.

Rule three: For heavens sake leave some skin on show. Now personally I'd want to wear a 70s inspired mental maxi with poofy sleeves and the works, but i wouldn't want to advise this, as I'm pretty sure it would look terrible. so lets keep them halter necks, or strapless.

Rule 4: Maxi's only really work with bold prints and patterns. Get stripes away from Maxi's at all costs, you will look 5.

Rule 5: Where possible, avoid wearing the maxi dress.

1 comment:

  1. My mum rocks maxi dresses, it's her thing. You can put her beside Nicole in your list. :)

    ReplyDelete